Breast reduction is for those women with overly large breasts. Breast reduction surgery can be a real life-enhancing option. The breast reduction procedure not only gives you smaller, firmer breasts, but will also relieve you from the physical and emotional discomforts of having overly large breasts. I
Breast reduction is a cosmetic procedure that removes the excess of breast tissue and skin. In the breast reduction procedure the nipples are repositioned and the darker skin surrounding the nipple (areola) can be reduce.
The breast reduction surgery will give you more freedom in your work out routine and physical activity and the ability to wear different types of clothing styles. Your new breast will look more proportional to the rest of the body
If your are considering breast reduction surgery, any of the following reasons will may make you a good candidate:
- You have realistic expectation about what the breast reduction can do for you and you fully understand that the breast reduction won't necessarily change your looks to match your ideal.
- You are in good health, emotionally stable and don’t have any pre-existing medical conditions.
- You experience back, neck or shoulder pain cause by the weight of the breast.
- You feel your breasts are saggy and heavy with the nipples and areolas pointing downward.
- Your breasts are too big in proportion with your body and experience skin irritation beneath them.
- Indentations in your shoulders cause by the bra straps.
- You feel self-conscious wearing clothes and/or swimsuits.
Initial consultation for breast reduction in La Jolla /San Diego
A personal consultation in our exclusive La Jolla / San Diego office is the very first step if you are considering breast reduction.
During the consultation at our La Jolla / San Diego clinic, Dr. Ron Soltero will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about breast reduction and examine your breast.
You will also be able to talk about the size and shape of your breast, the placement of the nipples, incisions and risk involve with breast reduction.
In our La Jolla / San Diego clinic Dr. Ron Soltero will be showing several before and after pictures of breast reduction.
The breast reduction surgery
Depending on your physician and the method of breast surgery that has been chosen, your breast reduction procedure can be performed as an inpatient (requiring an overnight stay in the hospital) or as an outpatient (no overnight stay required).
The breast reduction procedure is performed on our La Jolla / San Diego certified surgery center (outpatient facility). Dr. Ron Soltero’s office is conveniently located in the UTC / La Jolla area. Fully equipped with two AAAASF certified operating rooms, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the San Diego area.
The approach used for your breast surgery depends not only on Dr. Soltero’s preferences, but also on the look that you want to achieve.
The most common method of breast reduction involves 3 incisions, which they outline the area of skin to be removed, and the new position for the nipple. After Dr. Ron Soltero has removed the excess breast and shaped the remaining breast tissue, the nipple an areola are lifted. The scar of the breast reduction looks like an anchor.
General anesthesia is used to perform a breast reduction. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After the breast reduction surgery
You will probably feel tired and sore for several days after the breast reduction operation. However within one or two days you should be up and around.
When breast reduction surgery is complete, your breasts are smaller and firmer with temporary stitches around the areola, below it and in the base of the breast
Your breast may remain swollen and sensitive for a month or longer. After a few months your breast will begin to settle into a more natural shape. If you haven’t felt it sooner, you will notice relief from neck, back and shoulder pain.
Although the breast reduction’s scars are permanent and may appear worsen after a few months, will fade with time.
Some pre & post op tips for breast reduction
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for 2 weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre op date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the breast reduction operation.
- Do not smoke for at least 4 weeks prior to the surgery
- After the first dressing change, wear your bra continuously day and night to support and position the breast.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications or muscle relaxors.
- Avoid heavy lifting, exercise or excessive movement of your arms for 2 weeks.
- You may resume all normal activities after 3 weeks of the breast reduction surgery.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come in to our La Jolla / San Diego clinic.
If you would like to know more about breast reduction you can contact us by phone, e-mail or by scheduling a consultation at Dr. Soltero’s office:
4510 Executive Drive Suite 105
San Diego CA 92121
(UTC / La Jolla area)
Please click here to check estimated prices for breast reduction surgery