Abdominoplasty, also known as a “Tummy Tuck”, helps those who want to attain a flatter, better-looking stomach. Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is designed to firm and smooth the stomach. This cosmetic procedure removes excess skin and fat from abdomen, and may also tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall.
Excess fat, loose sagging skin and weakened abdominal muscle can all be corrected with a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. However this procedure is not a substitute for weight loss or any exercise routine.
A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty can help boost your confidence in your appearance and self-esteem, but it won't necessarily change your looks to match your ideal. The procedure can dramatically reduce the appearance of a protruding abdomen. But it does produce a permanent scar, which, depending on each patient can extend from hip to hip.
Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty can be done in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures like liposuction.
Good candidates for abdominoplasty/ tummy tuck are:
- People with realistic expectation about what the tummy tuck can do for them.
- People who are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions.
- People close to ideal weight for their body type and size.
- You are 18 year old or older and fully understand the tummy tuck / abdominoplasty procedure.
- Women who are not considering future pregnancies. (Cesarean section scars may be used or incorporated or revised for new incision).
- People who do not need to loss substantial weight.
Initial consultation for tummy tuck / abdominoplasty in La Jolla San Diego
A personal consultation in our exclusive La Jolla / San Diego office is the very first step if you are considering tummy tuck / abdominoplasty
During the consultation at our La Jolla / San Diego clinic, Dr. Ron Soltero will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about tummy tuck / abdominoplasty and examine your skin tone and deposits of fat.
You will also be able ask questions about tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, talk about incisions and risks involve with the procedure.
In our La Jolla / San Diego clinic Dr. Ron Soltero will be showing several pre and post op pictures of tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.
The tummy tuck / abdominoplasty surgery
The tummy tuck / abdominoplasty procedure is performed on our La Jolla / San Diego certified surgery center. Dr. Ron Soltero’s office is conveniently located in the UTC / La Jolla area. Fully equipped with two AAAASF certified operating rooms, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the San Diego area.
Dr. Ron Soltero will make a horizontal incision from hip to hip just above the pubic area. The size of the scar will depend on the amount of excess skin and fat to be removed.
Skin is separated from the abdominal wall all the way up to the ribs to remove all the excess fat and repair weakened abdominal muscles.Abdominal skin is pull down and excess is removed. An incision around the belly button will be necessary to get rid of the excess skin on the upper abdomen.
General anesthesia is used to perform tummy tuck / abdominoplasty. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After the tummy tuck / abdominoplasty surgery
You will probably see a flatter and firmer stomach right after the surgery. However the final result be obscured by the swelling and you inability to stand upright.
Within a week your stitches & drainage will come out and the swelling will continue to subside. Also you should be able to stand up tall and confident. The scars are permanent and may appear worsen after a few months, but will fade with time.
Right after the surgery you will be fitted with a compression garment to control swelling and help your skin to adjust to its new slimmer profile.
Some pre & post op tips for tummy tuck / abdominoplasty
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for 2 weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre op date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the tummy tuck / abdominoplasty operation.
- Do not smoke for at least 4 weeks prior to the surgery
- You will be fitted with a compression garment after surgery; you must wear this continuously for 6 weeks.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications or muscle relaxors.
- Avoid heavy lifting, exercise or excessive movement of your arms for 2 weeks.
- You may resume all normal activities after 4 weeks of the tummy tuck / abdominoplasty surgery.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come in to our La Jolla / San Diego clinic.
If you would like to know more about tummy tuck / abdominoplasty you can contact us by phone, email or at Dr. Soltero’s office:
Executive Drive Suite 105
San Diego CA 92121
(UTC / La Jolla area)
Please click here to check estimated prices for tummy tuck / abdominoplasty surgery