Liposuction is a procedure that can help to have a well-proportioned body by removing unwanted fat from specific areas, including the abdomen, hips, buttocks, thighs, knees, upper arms, chin, back and even the neck. Liposuction is also known as Lipoplasty, Lipectomy or Lipoesculture. Although liposuction is usually not intended as a weight-loss technique, it can remove stubborn areas of excess fat that don't respond to traditional weight-loss methods or exercise.
Liposuction can help boost your confidence in your appearance and self-esteem, but it won't necessarily change your looks to match your ideal. Liposuction can produce excellent results if you have unwanted lumps, bulges, and areas of fat that make certain body parts appear disproportionate
Liposuction can be done in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures like breast augmentation or abdominoplasty.
Are you a good candidate? Any of the following reasons may make you a good candidate for liposuction:
- You have realistic expectation about what the liposuction can do for you.
- You are a normal-weight person who has stubborn areas of excess fat that doesn’t respond to traditional weight-loss methods or exercise.
- Certain medical conditions may complicate the liposuction: diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure or recently liposuction done near the area to be treated.
- You are 18 year old or older and fully understand the liposuction procedure.
Initial consultation for Liposuction in La Jolla San Diego
A personal consultation in our exclusive La Jolla / San Diego office is the very first step if you are considering liposuction.
During the consultation at our La Jolla / San Diego clinic, Dr. Ron Soltero will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about liposuction and examine your skin for firmness and elasticity.
You will also be able to point out the areas where you would like to see improvement and talk about incisions and risks involve with liposuction.
In our La Jolla / San Diego clinic Dr. Ron Soltero will be showing several pre and post op pictures of liposuction.
The liposuction surgery
The liposuction procedure is performed on our La Jolla / San Diego certified surgery center. Dr. Ron Soltero’s office is conveniently located in the UTC / La Jolla area. Fully equipped with two AAAASF certified operating rooms, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the San Diego area.
Nowadays the number of options and liposuction techniques might overwhelm you. The method used in our La Jolla / San Diego clinic is called Power-Assisted Liposuction or Micro Aire Technique.
The Power-Assisted Liposuction represents an important development in fat removal technology. It is considered the most modern method with best results. This technique is combined with the tumescent liposuction where a medical solution is injected to the areas prior to be treated. The tumescent liposuction helps the fat be removed more easily, reduces blood loss, bruising, provides anesthesia during and after surgery and a more pleasant recovery.
Dr. Ron Soltero will make a tiny incision near to the area to be suctioned. Whenever possible, incisions are hided within natural folds or contour lines of the skin. A small cannula is inserted though the incision so that its tips penetrates and vacuum the underlying fat
General anesthesia is used to perform liposuction. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After the Liposuction surgery
You will probably feel tired and sore for several days after the liposuction operation. However within one or two days you should be up and around. Within the first weeks, the swelling will reach its peaks and then begin to go down. Bruising might appear and you may fell numbness on the areas suctioned.
Right after the surgery you will be fitted with a compression garment to control swelling and help your skin to adjust to its new body contour.
Some pre & post op tips for liposuction
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for 2 weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre op date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the liposuction operation.
- Do not smoke for at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery
- You will be fitted with a compression garment after surgery; you must wear this continuously for 6 weeks.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- Avoid heavy lifting, exercise or excessive movement of your arms for 2 weeks.
- You may resume all normal activities after 3 weeks of the liposuction surgery.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come in to our La Jolla / San Diego clinic.
If you would like to know more about liposuction you can contact us by phone, email or at Dr. Soltero’s office:
Executive Drive Suite 105
San Diego CA 92121
(UTC / La Jolla area)
Please click here to check estimated prices for Liposuction.