Face-lift technically known as rhytidectomy, smoothes the loose skin on your face and neck, tightens underlying tissues and removes excess fat. As a result your face will appear smoother, fresher and younger.
A face-lift can't stop this aging process. However what it can do is improving the most visible signs of aging by removing excess fat, tightening underlying muscles, and redraping the skin of your face and neck. A facelift can be done alone, or in conjunction with other procedures
When excess skin is not the main condition you would like to correct; a mid face lift can be performed to reposition the cheeks and smooth the nasolabial fold (crease between the nose and the mouth, also known as smile lines)
A face-lift is most commonly performed on men & women in the 40-60 year old range
Face-lift can be done in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures such as a forehead lift, eyelid surgery, or mid face-lift.
Good candidates for face-lift are:
- People with realistic expectation about what the face-lift can do for them.
- People who are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions.
- People who have visible signs of aging in the face & neck
- People who have lost skin elasticity and firmness.
- People who have sagging tissue and wrinkles and can appear tired or sad due to the aging process.
- People with loose skin and excess fatty deposits under the chin and jaw
- You are 18 year old or older and fully understand the face-lift procedure.
Initial consultation for face-lift in La Jolla San Diego
A personal consultation in our exclusive La Jolla / San Diego office is the very first step if you are considering face-lift to improve the effects of aging in your face & neck.
During the consultation at our La Jolla / San Diego clinic, Dr. Ron Soltero will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about face-lift and examine your bone structure and the underlying tissues of the face. The skin elasticity, tone and the muscle activity of your entire face and neck will be evaluated.
You will also be able ask questions about face-lift, talk about incisions and risks involve with the procedure.
In our La Jolla / San Diego clinic Dr. Ron Soltero will be showing several pre and post op pictures of face-lift.
The face-lift surgery
The face-lift procedure is performed on our La Jolla / San Diego certified surgery center. Dr. Ron Soltero’s office is conveniently located in the UTC / La Jolla area. Fully equipped with two AAAASF certified operating rooms, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the San Diego area.
The approach used for your face-lift surgery depends not only on Dr. Soltero’s preferences, but also on the look that you want to achieve. The face-lift requires an individualized approach and it can offer dramatic improvement of the face & neck. However a face-lift does not change your fundamental appearance.
Face-lift incisions usually begin in the hairline, continue around the ear and end in the lower scalp. Fat can be removed or redistributed from the face and neck. The underlying tissue is repositioned and excess skin is trimmed away.
General anesthesia is used to perform a face-lift. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After the face lift surgery
Once your face-lift surgery is completed, you may find that a bandage has been placed around your face and scalp to minimize swelling and bruising. Drainage tubes might be present. Discomfort and numbness can be controlled with pain medication. Your skin can look discolored and or bruised
The incisions of the face-lift are well concealed within the natural structures of the face and ear and the hairline. Results appear gradually as swelling and bruising subside to reveal a smooth, firmer and younger appearance.
Within a week your stitches or clips will come out, most of the bruising will disappear and the swelling will continue to subside. Within three weeks, numbness and itching will start to diminish as the nerves continue to heal.
We recommend that you protect your face from the sun or appropriate sun block should be used after the face-lift surgery
Some pre & post op tips for face-lift
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for 2 weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre op date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the face-lift operation.
- Do not smoke for at least 4 weeks prior to the surgery.
- You should avoid exposure to direct sunlight. Consider using sun block.
- Keep head elevated on several pillows to minimize swelling
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- Avoid heavy lifting, straining or bending over 2 weeks.
- You may resume all normal activities after 3 weeks of the face-lift surgery.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come in to our La Jolla / San Diego clinic.
If you would like to know more about the face-lift surgery you can contact us by phone, email or at Dr. Soltero’s office:
Executive Drive Suite 105
San Diego CA 92121
(UTC / La Jolla area)
Please click here to check estimated prices for face-lift surgery